Minafon co-operative

Minafon, was a centre where men and women called regularly, the office and the shop of that unhappy venture, the Llŷn Co-operative Agricultural Society, being situated there. When the Co-op. was started in 1913, Evan Williams, was appointed secretary, and when it was wound up in 1928, the secretary found himself with only a bicycle, two suits and a few books.

One luckless element in the failure of the Co-op. was the steam lorry bought for £1,500 to bring merchandise from the rail terminal at Pwllheli, fourteen miles away. Petrol was already superseding steam as a means of transport, and the steam lorry soon became useless, to be eventually sold as scrap for sixty pounds.